Premium Access for all!
We are excited to offer everyone that signs up for a Role account premium access to all our features and data caps. This makes Role truly FREE for everyone that wants the best online TTRPG experience. This is the start of many exciting features and improvements coming the rest of this year and beyond!
Fixed some bugs related to sharing maps and tokens.
- Added the ability to copy sheets from your dashboard. While viewing a sheet on your dashboard, the sheet's settings (gear icon) is now clickable and has an option for creating a copy of the sheet. This will copy the sheet in its entirety including all its info, and will immediately be selected for viewing.
- Fixed being able to upload assets in Safari.
- Fixed random maps/images showing up when first entering a table.
- Fixed network quality indicators sometimes not showing up for users when in a video call.
Markdown in Chat
This update contains a handful of quality of life improvements:
- Markdown is now enabled for chat messages. This is the same markdown support we have in the Template Creator. This means chat messages will automatically hyperlink urls, you can add formatting such as bold, italics, tables, and more. If you want to learn more check out GitHub Flavored Markdown.
- You can now rename assets! You'll find a new option in your Dashboard's Asset Library and Table's Asset Tray when you open an asset's menu. This will only appear for the owner of the asset.
- If you hover over the author of a chat message, the message's timestamp will show up.
- When you join or enter a table that was already sharing an image or map, that image or map will now automatically appear for you as well.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred in the Template Creator when a Block or Input description box would attempt to resize itself to fit its contents.
As we continue to evolve the platform and onboard more players, we want to give more people the flexibility to try out Role. To that end, we have opened up some permissions and features to players who are signed up for a Guest Role Account. With a guest account you will now have the ability to:
- Create and manage 1 table for your own play group.
- Upload up to 200 MB of custom assets to your library.
Misc Improvements and Fixes
- Added camera, microphone, and connection quality indicators to player thumbnails during a live play session.
- Video calls were dropping for sessions running longer than 4 hours. Now when that happens you will be automatically reconnected.
- Added some screen reader support for Sheets.
- Fixed screen reader support for the Dice Tray.
- Fixed showing how many players are currently connected to a video call.
- Fixed a bug where editing a Dice Pool would cause it to stop working until you refreshed the page.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when viewing a sheet from your dashboard.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when viewing a map.
- Fixed having a minimized map becoming fullscreen again if someone else drew on it.
Dice Log Fixes
- Fixed showing manual modifiers in dice log.
- Fixed showing full roll (refs, dice, buffs) when you add additional dice to a roll or re-roll a single die.
Safety and Custom Modifiers
Thank you to Kienna Shaw and Lauren Bryant-Monk, curators of the TTRPG Safety Toolkit, for putting together the official Role Safety Templates. All accounts will automatically come with three templates to help organize and think about safety when playing on Role. The following templates are now available for everyone:
More info about Safety on Role coming soon! If you have any feedback as you use these templates please send them our way to email@example.com.
We encourage everyone to set proper safety boundaries ahead of a session so all players feel comfortable. In the event something comes up, we've added the ability for you to anonymously ping the entire table in real-time. When you ping the table, a notification appears on everyone's screen, as well as a message in chat. We hope this will help play groups to pause, review their safety tools of choice, and check in to make sure everyone is okay with the session.
To ping the table, open the chat and click red button with an exclamation point next to the send button.
Table Hosts can now manage and remove players from a table. A new menu item item located in the Settings dropdown can be found if you are the creator of the table. Removing a player from the table will do the following:
- Immediately boot the player from the table if they are currently connected to it.
- Remove the table from the player's list of joined tables.
- Remove any sheets that player added to the table.
- Remove any assets, including maps and tokens, that the player added to the table.
- Hide any messages and dice log entries the player had sent to the table.
NOTE: This does not ban the player from the table. If you want them to re-join you can simply invite them again. If you want to ensure the player cannot re-join your table, we recommend you add or change the password to the table.
Custom Modifiers and Dice Tray Updates
You can now manually add a reference or buff to your Dice Roll without needing to select something from a sheet! When you open the Dice Tray, you will see two new options: "+ Add Ref" and "+ Add Buff". Clicking one of these will open a modal where you can adjust the modifier. This modal will also list references or buffs you have selected from your sheets. If you already have a ref or buff added to your roll, you can now click them to open the same modal to adjust your modifiers as you see fit.
With this change we've also updated how the Dice Tray works:
- Moved the Cards button next to the dice, and added Roll button that will toggle open the Dice Tray.
- Opening the Dice Tray no longer requires dice to be already selected, and closing the tray no longer automatically clears your roll.
- There is an explicit "Clear" button for when you are done with your currently selected dice and modifiers.
Misc Improvements and Fixes
- Added the ability to remove a password from your table. To remove a password click "Remove Password" from within Settings > Table Info.
- Added the ability to minimize another player's roll. When a player's roll shows up, there is now a double arrow button that will minimize it so it doesn't take up as much space.
- Fixed immediately removing a player's sheets and assets if they permanently leave a table.
- Fixed re-sending your roll to other players if you toggle Private Roll off.
Fixed a bug with shuffling cards where the state of the deck was not saved. This caused drawn cards to stay drawn on page refresh instead of actually being shuffled back into the deck.
Maps and Sheets Fixes
- Fixed private sheets sometimes being visible to other players at the table. This could happen if you had both private AND shared sheets at the table.
- Fixed getting stuck with a map open and either a) not being able to select it again or b) not being able to close it. This was caused when viewing a private map while another map was being shared.
- Fixed unsharing a map if the person who shared it leaves the table or refreshes the page.
Text Chat is now available at all Tables on Role! Chat with your party, private message individual players, and view a log of all public dice rolls. You'll see a new Chat Button at the bottom right of your Table just above the Assets bar. Clicking that will open the "Everything" chat where you can see a public chat with all players at the table plus any dice rolls. Use the "Show Chat" dropdown to view only messages from people, the dice log, or to start a private message with someone. Here is the list of chat options you have available today:
- Everything: A public chat for everyone at the table plus all public dice rolls.
- Everyone: The same public chat from Everything minus the dice rolls.
- Dice Log: All public dice rolls by anyone at the table. Private dice rolls are never logged.
- Private Message: You'll see a list of every person at the table that you can select to start a private conversation.
All text chat histories will remain available so long as the table is active. This means you can leave, come back later, and pick up right where you left off. We also keep track of your last read message so you always know if there is something to catch up on when you return.
Misc Improvements and Fixes
- Toggling off a private roll will resend any current dice information to other players at the table.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when deleting a table and heading back to the dashboard.
- Fixed a crash when viewing a sheet that another player removes from the table.